Saturday, September 6, 2008

Let Bygones Be Bygones

The days from June went blazingly hot and cold towards September. What?! Needless to say, the end of the semester is now approaching. In this thought, every nerve in my brain was jumping as if ready for an adrenalin rush. Somehow, they were sensitive enough to detect that their master was facing an incoming danger. I started recalling the things that undeniably needed my attention. First of all firsts were my requirements. I began counting numbers and realized I had missed too much. Delayed postings, hanging journals, undecided projects and the elusive research topic made me feel helpless for a moment. I was blaming no one but myself. The culprit, it’s laziness all over again.

Well, I couldn’t think of any person responsible for this. Not even my professors, for they had not let a time slipped in reminding us our obligations. I, for a fact, was a witness on how they encouraged students to participate actively and to always have a close pace with time. Behind this truth, I once accused them of bringing misery into my life. Why, they brought red marks in my passbook when in fact, ever since I took my first steps in learning I never had gotten this shameful blood. Since elementary, I was consistent of having high grades. I may never had experienced being on top but I was recognized for my academic competency. Then I knew how it felt to be a failure. Failure as it was, despite of hard work. I was like an asteroid falling towards the Earth, suddenly crushed by the atmosphere. All that was left were the broken pieces – hard to find and mend. I took it very seriously. Stupid of me! I had almost been dragged by the pressure they were giving us in terms of requirements. They were demanding this and that at specific times. Sometimes, they just couldn’t appreciate efforts. Sometimes, they would only make a fool out of us. This I couldn’t bear. Lastly, it hurt me when it was obvious that they could not avoid comparing students from the other sides of the world. Non-nocturnal versus nocturnal. The one is superior over the other, respectively. I hated them so much that I never wanted to see their faces again.

Whew! That was too much already. The rest was history. But then, history teaches me everything. Much has been said and now it’s time for me to think why I am still here. Despite the struggles, I still consider IC as my second home. I have my professors whom I considered my mentors. Hate turns into admiration, appreciation and respect. I am still at IC because I HAVE PROVEN MYSELF WRONG AND THAT SOMETHING IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR, SOMETHING AS SUCCESS. What is success without failures? What is success without hardships? I have realized that at first, I was just too proud of myself that I became blind from the things ahead. PAMATI! Hehehe For that, I have learned the value of humility.

I have blamed others for my misfortunes when the truth is; I make my own decisions and my own destiny. I am my own enemy.

One very significant lesson that I got from RSG: LAZINESS IS NOT ONLY DEFINED AS DOING NOTHING BUT IT IS ALSO NOT DOING THINGS ON TIME.

September is here, I have to keep moving and get things done before October says hello.

1 comment:

Paul said...

Accepting responsibility for one's destiny in life is the first step towards success. The next step is to answer the question 'What is Success?' The answer is always subjective but when you find it your life will be richer for the search.