Monday, September 15, 2008

MICROSOFT vs FOSS

It was in my sixth grade that I got totally aware of how computers work. When I stepped high school, our first lesson in entrepreneurship for that first school year was typing lesson. I remembered, it was then I heard the word “Microsoft”. From then on, whenever I saw a computer, I could relate it to “Microsoft”. At that age of consciousness, I was really brainwashed by the idea that nothing else existed aside from Microsoft when it comes to computer technology. It was because people around me were using it whether in school, business establishments, and banks or even at home. It was until my first college year that I knew OpenOffice. When I got to use it, without further thinking, I blurted out that this was nothing compared to Microsoft Word. It was difficult to operate and explore. Obviously, what happened next, I stick with MS. I was not even shocked upon realizing that I felt the same way with my classmates and friends.

By setting the issue in our locality, I can say that MS has excavated a very deep foundation proven by its widely accepted and used applications such as MS Word. People in my generation grew up with Microsoft.

Placing popularity into the rivalry makes proprietary format (Microsoft) the victor by landslide. I know I am being biased with my opinion but I am just taking the matter of what influences me much and what I have known first. Microsoft came first and so obviously I have much to say about it. Perhaps, by reversing the events, let’s say OSS (Open Source Software) happens to come first then I would be saying all these in favor of it.

No comments: